Fans return in defeat to Netherlands

After more than a year of playing behind closed doors, fans were welcomed back into the Victoria Stadium as Netherlands ran out 7-0 winners against Gibraltar.

Julio Ribas made just one change from the side which lost to Norway with Ethan Jolley replacing Jayce Olivero while Frank De Boer named an unchanged side after their win over Latvia.

Dayle Coleing picked up from where he left off last Wednesday with a vital save to keep out a shot from Feyenoord attacker Steven Berghuis. Gibraltar captain Roy Chipolina would make two important blocks just shortly followed by another superb save by Dayle Coleing to keep out Georginio Wijnaldum’s effort from outside the box with 25 minutes played.

Gibraltar would make their first change in the 41st minute with Erin Barnett replacing Kian Ronan, who had picked up a yellow card earlier in the game. The Netherlands would finally find a way past Dayle Coleing when Steven Berghuis picked up a loose ball in the box and curl his shot into the top corner.

Netherlands were forced into a change in the 55th minute when Daley Blind made a challenge on Tjay De Barr which resulted in the Ajax defender being visibly upset after being stretched off. A few minutes later and the visitors made it 2-0 with Luuk De Jong scoring at the near post.

Memphis Depay’s deflected free-kick made it 3-0 on the hour mark which was 4-0 less than a minute later courtesy of Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum. The visitors quick passing and movement continued to create the Gibraltar defence problems when Donyell Malen made it 5-0 just two minutes later.

Another superb goalkeeping display by Dayle Coleing was brought to a cruel end in the 73rd minute with a suspected hamstring injury for Kyle Goldwin and Graeme Torrilla was also introduced at the same time. Not even a minute after coming on, Goldwin was called into action by making an excellent double save.

Julio would make his final two changes in the 81st minute with Julian Valarino and Antony Moulds replacing Lee Casciaro and Ethan Jolley. The visitors would add a sixth in the 85th minute through Manchester United midfielder Donny van de Beek.

Memphis Depay made it seven in the 89th minute and after seven minutes of added time, the Portuguese referee blew the final whistle with Netherlands running out comfortable 7-0 winners.