Switzerland beat Gibraltar in Sion

A very tired-looking performance from Gibraltar saw them comfortably beaten by Switzerland in Sion.

Switzerland quickly took control of the game with Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka dictating the play with his good flow of possible in the middle. It only took the hosts six minutes to create their first chance which Edimilson Fernandes missed from close range.

The quickness in movement of the Swiss players continued to create the Gibraltar defence problems, Fernandes found himself free at the back post and saw his shot well saved by Dayle Coleing.

25 minutes into the first half and Gibraltar was forced into making their first substitution as Kyle ‘Chino’ Goldwin replaced Dayle Coleing, who walked off holding his hamstring.

Switzerland opened the scoring in the 37 minute, Denis Zakaria got his head to a corner and guided the ball into the net – a deserved lead for the hosts. Six minutes later and the hosts doubled their lead as Admir Mehmedi got on the end of a cross and headed the ball past Goldwin.

Seconds from the break and Switzerland made it 3-0 as a poor clearance from the Gibraltar defence fell to Ricardo Rodriguez whose low driven shot flew into the bottom corner from range. The referee’s whistle blew and the hosts led 3-0 at half-time.

The second half got underway with the hosts continuing to control the game and nearly made it 4-0, five minutes into the second half, but Goldwin made a great low save.

Just before the hour mark, Julio Ribas made his second change as Jamie Coombes replaced Andrew Hernandez with his brother, Anthony, moving into centre midfield.

On the 67th minute mark, Gibraltar made their final change as Ethan Britto was replaced by Alain Pons. Shortly after, Joseph Chipolina received a yellow card for a foul on Swiss captain Granit Xhaka.

Goldwin made a good save in the 82nd minute from Vargas’ volley to keep the score at 3-0. A few minutes later, Mehmedi nearly got his brace but his excellent volley went inches wide of Goldwin’s post.

Gibraltar recorded just their second attempt on goal in the 86th minute as Liam Walker’s shot from range went wide. Sommer in the Switzerland goal the game restarted and the hosts made it 4-0 through Mario Gavranovic, slotting in the rebound after the initial shot was saved by Goldwin.

The referee blew for the final whistle with Switzerland running out comfortable 4-0 winners.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *