Gibtelecom Rock Cup Second Round: Review

The Second Round of the Gibtelecom Rock Cup saw Europa beat Lincoln in the tie of the round, two Second Division sides progressed to the Quarter Finals, but the gap between some of the teams in Gibraltar’s two divisions was emphasised even further with three games seeing double-digit scorelines.

Photo © William Gracia

St Joseph’s 12-0 Hound Dogs

The first game of the round saw St Joseph’s put 12 past Hound Dogs, who, despite clearly trying their hardest and never putting in less than 100%, were never going to be able to compete with a side who came third in the Premier Division last season. Jose Reyes got a hat-trick, while Ryan Casciaro and Shawn Gonzalez both notched braces. An own goal from Ashley Harrison, and goals from Evan Green, Andrew Hernandez, Ivan Lobato and Javier Anaya Rojas saw Saints safely through.

Mons Calpe 14-0 College 1975

Another total mismatch both on paper and on the field, Mons Calpe notched 14 goals against Second Division opposition. Three players managed to get hat-tricks on the night; Pibe, Juanse and Leonardo Carboni, while an own goal from Sergio Panes, a brace for Nicolas Trecco, and sole strikes from Nahuel Pereyra and Kelvin Morgan meant that 26 goals had been scored in the first two games of the round – at a time when some are pushing for one unified division, the Rock Cup undermined their argument and it is now hard to see how the leagues can be merged next season.

Lincoln 1-2 Europa

The first competitive game of the round saw Europa overcome their current domestic title rivals Lincoln by two goals to one, in a hard-fought encounter. The match, which was seen as a warm-up for this weekend’s crunch league encounter, saw Europa take a 2-0 lead courtesy of second half strikes from Manuel Arana and Manu Dimas, but a familiar face was to give Europa a nervy last few minutes as Kike struck against his former club to halve the deficit. Europa saw off the remaining minutes though and are now favourites to retain their trophy.

Manchester 62 0-12 Gibraltar United

To illustrate how much of a chasm has grown between teams in Gibraltar, these two sides faced off almost exactly 12 months ago at the same stage of the cup, and Gib United registered a 3-1 win against then Premier Division Manchester. A lot has changed though, and even though Gib United are arguably weaker than last season, they still managed to score 12 times against a Manchester side who are second in the Second Division at the time of writing. Guido Ratto scored a hat-trick, while Dani Ponce, Nathan Santos and Alberto Zapata all notched two goals a-piece. Further goals from Aymen Mouelhi, Francisco Alvarez and Tito De Torres ensured Gib United easy progression and left many hoping the weekend would be more competitive.

Lynx 1-3 Gibraltar Phoenix

On paper this could have been a potential banana-skin for Phoenix, with Lynx much­-improved since the window closed. However, goals from Labra, Jordan Serna and a 90th minute Juanma Llaves effort ensured Phoenix did not slip up. They were given problems though, as Mohamed Badr scored for the second game in a row to level it for Lynx, but they will be left wondering if this was an opportunity missed to have a good cup run.

Glacis 1-1 Lions (Lions win 4-3 on penalties)

Lions, who had lost in the league recently to Glacis, exacted revenge by knocking them out on penalties, but had to do it the hard way. Alan Parker had given Glacis the lead, and had a chance to make it 2-0, but Alvaro Pichardo saved Nacho Fernandez’ penalty. However, when Ping was sent off, the writing seemed on the wall for the Premier Division’s bottom side. This somehow spurred them on and Javier Cantelmi got an equaliser which eventually saw the game go to penalties. The unfortunate player in the shoot-out would be Glacis’ Gabriele Novello, who saw his decisive penalty hit the post, meaning Lions qualified for the Quarter Finals.

Europa Point 0-2 Olympique

The only all-Second Division clash saw Olympique take on Europa Point in a repeat of a classic Rock Cup game last season, where Olympique won on penalties thanks to Jordan Perez’ winning spot-kick, after Kyle Casciaro’s injury-time goal had saved them from being eliminated at the final moment. Olympique, who had beaten Europa Point in the Second Division Cup last month, repeated the feat with a 2-0 victory, courtesy of goals from Carenote and Godwin Egbo, and make it to the Quarter Finals for the second time in consecutive seasons.

FC Boca Gibraltar 2-5 Brunos Magpies

A repeat of last season’s Second Division title-decider ended the second round of the Gibtelecom Rock Cup, and unlike last season, Magpies came out on top this time in a game which saw seven goals and three red cards. Fernando Cuesta and Matheus Assumpcao twice gave Brunos the lead, only to see Boca peg them back courtesy of a brace from Israel Castillo. In the middle of all this was two red cards – Antony Moulds was sent off after being adjudged to be denying a clear goalscoring opportunity – a decision Boca may feel was harsh, before Jesse Ballester saw red for Magpies after an off-the-ball incident. Magpies superior fitness kicked in during the second half and Cuesta made it 3-2, before Nicolas Pecino saw red for two bookable offences for Boca. Assumpcao, and Matthew Grech polished the victory off for Magpies to complete the lineup for the Quarter Finals, with the date of the draw to be confirmed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *