Cannons seal opening day victory; Olympique held by Leo

Goals from Daniel Guerrero & Francisco Diaz secured Cannons a well deserved 2-1 win over College 1975.

Cannons started the game the better side and nearly opened the scoring early on, Samuel Mesua picked up a loose ball in the box and fired a shot towards goal which rocketed off the crossbar. Shortly after Cannons took the lead, Mesua latched onto a through ball and squared it for Guerrero to tap into an empty net.

Cannons went into the break the better side with College 1975 struggling to create any goal-scoring opportunities. Cannons continued to dominate in the second half and were awarded a penalty. Francisco Diaz poorly taken penalty was saved but fortunately for him the rebound dropped to the midfielder who fired from close.

Less than ten minutes later College pulled a goal back, Fernando Moya was fouled by Daniel Jimenez and the referee pointed straight to the spot. Antonio Sabastro, former Phoenix midfielder, stepped up and coolly slotted the ball into the bottom corner. College’s search for an equaliser was made harder when two minutes later defender Miguel Fernandez was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Cannons held on for the last few minutes and walked away with all three points. 

Israel Castillo’s strike rescues a point for Olympique in a thrilling 2-2 draw with Leo.

Three minutes into the first half and Olympique took the lead, Kevagn Robba’s long range shot flew into the top corner giving keeper Charles Santos no chance. Leo improved as the game went on and midway through the half they equalised, Manuel Ruiz received the ball in the box, turned and curled his effort into the bottom corner. 

Olympique nearly regained the lead just before half-time, Israel Castillo delivered a corner which found Matt Reoch whose header went just wide. Shortly after the referee blew for half-time with the score at 1-1.

Two minutes in the second half Leo were gifted a goal, Manuel Ruiz capitalised an a poor pass from Joe Borg and fired the ball into an empty net. Olympique kept pushing for an equaliser and got it in the 72nd minute, Israel Castillo latched onto a through ball, raced on goal and drilled the ball past Santos.

Shortly after Olympique appealed for a penalty when Matt Reoch went down in the box but referee waved play on. With the last play of the game Olympique were awarded a free-kick. Israel Castillo nearly found himself through on goal again but was taken out by Juan Carlos Marfil which led to the defender being sent off. The resulting free-kick was delivered and found Matt Reoch who rose above his marker and headed the ball inches past the post.

The game restarted and referee Jose Flores blew for full-time and the points were evenly shared.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *