Europa Point retain Second Division Cup

Europa Point retained the Second Division Cup after beating 10-man Brunos Magpies 3-2 in extra time.

Brunos Magpies started the first half the brighter side, Jose Garcia Nieto was called into action early on to save Reece Placid’s attempt on goal. Twenty minutes in and Magpies were awarded a penalty when Glenn Ampah barged into the back of Max Bothen. Nana Fiifi Asare Marfo stepped up and rolled the ball forward, Reece Placid was quickest to react and slot the ball past Garcia, a very clever penalty.

Europa Point continued to press high up the pitch but were unable to find a way through the Magpies defence until the 40th minute when Marfo handled the ball in the box. Christian Nunez stepped up and drilled his penalty into the bottom corner, just out of the reach of Fernando Sanchez Diaz.

Shortly after the referee blew for half-time with the score at 1-1. 

Europa Point started the second half on the attack, Christian Nunez latches onto a through ball and from a tight angle fires a shot towards goal which Sanchez saves. On the hour mark Magpies regained the lead, Reece Placid drifted past Guillermo Sanchez and rifled the ball past the helpless Europa Point keeper.

Eight minutes later Europa Point equalised, Alioune Ndiaye played a long ball which found Marek Albert who headed the ball past the on-rushing Magpies keeper. Magpies ended the half the much stronger side and nearly took the lead near the end but Kane Ndiaga’s chip struck the crossbar and went out for a goal-kick. 

Referee blew the final whistle and the game went into extra-time.

The first half of extra-time got underway with Europa Point on the attack, Alioune Ndiaye struck the postand two minutes they had the ball in the back of the net but it was ruled out for offside. A few minutes before the first half finished Europa Point took the lead, Alvaro Caballero long range free-kick flew past the wall and into the bottom corner. 

The second half started with Magpies through all men forward as they searched for an equalised but couldn’t find a way past the wall of Europa Point defenders. With all their men upfront, this left them open to a counter-attack and that is exactly what happened, Christian Nunez latched onto a through ball and ran through on goal, the striker was fouled in the box and the referee had the whistle in his mouth but changed his mind last minute and waved play on. 

Shortly after Magpies went down to 10 men as a scuffle between both sets of players saw Nick Dembele receive a straight red. Europa Point saw out the last few minutes and secured a thrilling 3-2 win to retain the Second Division Cup. 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *