Anthony Bardon seals a late win for Lincoln

Lincoln Red Imps produced a stunning second-half comeback to win 3-2 from being two goals down at the break against FC Britannia. 

The first half was a very even encounter, Britannia had the first chance of the game, Bernardes long range shot was excellently saved by Raul Navas. Lincoln replied instantly, Liam Walker picked out Guido Abayian, the striker’s shot was saved by Louie Barnfather.

Britannia took a shock lead in the fourteenth minute, Lincoln defenders gave Peter Grimmer too much time on the ball and the striker smashed his shot into the top corner from twenty-five yards out. Lincoln tried to get back into the game but were unable to break down a well organised Britannia defence.

Britannia had two great chances to double their lead, Bernardes shot went inches past the post. Jose Manuel Guerra latched onto a through ball, the winger lobbed the onrushing Navas but saw his effort sail just over the bar. Lincoln came battling back Lee Casciaro skipped past his marker, his shot was saved by Barnfather and the rebound fell to Abayian whose shot was blocked for a corner which came to nothing.

Britannia were able to hold on til half-time and go into the break leading 1-0. Lincoln made a double switch at half-time with Livramento & Chietino replacing Blasco & K.Casciaro. Six minutes into the second half and Britannia made it 2-0, a cross found Jose Manuel Guerra in the middle, the winger controlled the ball fantastically and slotted his shot into the bottom corner.

Nine minutes later Lincoln got themselves a goal, a free-kick was awarded to Lincoln after Britannia keeper Barnfather held onto the ball for too long. Joseph Chipolina stepped up and drilled his free-kick into the bottom corner. Four minutes later Britannia had a glorious chance to extend their lead, Grimmer capitalised on a Jean Carlos Garcia mistake, the striker ran through on goal and played the ball to Guerra whose shot was saved by Navas.

Lincoln went all out attack and they searched for the equaliser, Livramento squared the ball Lee Casciaro whose shot went inches wide. With less than ten minutes left Lincoln were awarded a free-kick just outside the box as Nico Chietino was fouled by Peter Grimmer, Liam Walker stepped up and curled his effort into the top corner.

Less than sixty seconds later Lincoln completed the comeback, Antonio Livramento’s cross found Guido Abayian, the striker headed the ball into the path of Anthony Bardon who slotted his shot past Barnfather to give his side a 3-2 lead. Lincoln were able to hold on and luckily walk away with the three points.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.