FC Britannia 1-1 Gibraltar United: Match Report

Robert Montovio’s 85th minute equaliser saw Gibraltar United draw 1-1 against Britannia, in a game that saw three red cards shown at the Victoria Stadium.

Jamie Pishvaie’s penalty looked to have secured Britannia all three points, before Montovio’s equaliser on his debut, the fourth time he’s scored on his first appearance for a club.

From the start, both teams set out to play an attacking brand of football, but it was Britannia who had the first real chance, with Manuel Camacho’s effort saved by Kyle Goldwin in the Gib United goal.

Just before half time, Britannia had a goal disallowed for offside, with Comino’s effort disallowed by the linesman.  Britannia manager Alan Arruda may have felt his side should have been winning going into the break, but Gib United were putting up a good battle as expected.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first, with Britannia having more of the chances, although as time went on Gib United grew into the game and started forcing the Britannia defence to work harder to keep them out.

Just as Manuel Nunez Sanchez must have been thinking his side were in the ascendancy, the game turned on its head, as Pishvaie was fouled in the box by Gib United keeper Goldwin, who was shown a red card by referee Warwick Herbert. Pishvaie stepped up and put it past substitute keeper Liam Neale, who may not have expected to be making his debut so soon for Gib United.

Britannia went in search for a second goal that would have killed off the game, but with five minutes left, Montovio took advantage of a mistake in the Britannia defence, rounded keeper Louie Barnfather to put his side back on level terms.

An otherwise entertaining game was slightly soured by events just before the end, which saw both Pishvaie and Mark Casciaro sent off, but nine-man Gib United dealt with the six minutes added time to claim a hard-fought point.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *